Welcome to the Ottumwa/ Wapello Landfill
- All loads must be tarped. There will be a $10 – $25 penalty assessed for residential vehicles which are improperly tarped when entering the landfill. Commercial vehicles which are improperly tarped will receive a penalty of $25-$75 for each violation.
- NO liquids of any kind are accepted at the landfill.
- Businesses with special wastes should call (641) 683-0644 for assistance.
- Yard waste MUST go to the compost area of the Landfill – it is free of charge. Yard waste in plastic garbage bags must be emptied out and the empty bags can be disposed of at the gate.
- Tires and appliances are not accepted at the Landfill and must be taken to the Recycling Center. Car batteries may be left at the Landfill office or taken to the Recycling Center for disposal.
- NO toxic wastes are permitted at the Landfill and must be taken to the Recycling Center – please call (641) 683-0685 to schedule a time to bring toxic materials to the Recycling Center.
The disposal charge for solid waste and construction and demolition debris is $57.00 per ton. The minimum charge is $14.25 for 500 pounds or less. Amounts greater than 500 pounds will be prorated at the $57.00 per ton rate. Processed wood debris, like pallets, is accepted at a rate of $30.00 per ton with a $7.50 minimum.
Remember: The Landfill accepts limbs/branches and leaves/grass clippings free of charge from residents. Lawn mowing, Landscaping, Tree Services, and etc. will be charged $30.00 per ton. The loads MUST be tarped. There is a citizens convenience area south of the scale that is for leaves and grass only. No bags, including compostable bags will be allowed.
Also, the Landfill no longer accepts appliances – these items go to the Recycling Center.
7AM – 4PM Monday-Friday
7AM – Noon on Saturday
The Landfill is closed most
state & federal holidays.
How to Find Us:
Head Out West Second Street, toward Eddyville. Look for the sign on the north side of the road. We’re about 4 miles from Ottumwa.